Pages

Monday 19 February 2024

Challenge of student learning

Last week we had our first CoL PLG for the year and our focus before our next session is the summarise the challenge of student learning. One of the cluster goals this year is 1.5 years progress inside a year, focusing on the big three of reading, writing and maths. As a school we have found the key areas that we want to focus on with those bing reading and maths. From looking at my students learning and being part of the reading practice intensive (RPI) this year I have decided that my inquiry focus will be on reading. 

At the end of last year when I was looking at the data for 2024 and presenting my ideas for CoL 2024 I thought was to extend my students who at or just below where they should be for reading and focus on critical thinking and extended discussion. However when looking at the data for my team as a whole and what the data was showing I have seen a trend in the data with many of our learners reading between the ages of 7 and 8.5 years. It is always hard to try and frame what you are going to do until the learners are in front of you. 


I have spend the first few weeks of this term observing my learners in reading and have found that many of these learners don't want to share during reading sessions and need to be prompted to answer questions and share thoughts and ideas about what they have read. As part of RPI we completed a reader profile survey
 which gave me more of an insight to what these learners were thinking and how they were feeling about reading. 

The main challenge that my learners are facing in reading is the confidence to participate in reading sessions as well as reading between the ages of 7 and 8.5 years which is below where they should be at in year 5 and 6. So from looking at all of these aspects my inquiry focus is going to be around lifting confidence in reading as well as accelerating students reading progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

RPI Day 4: Guided Reading

In today's session we have taken a deep dive into guided reading and some of the key components and elements of guided reading, the lear...