Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2024

RPI Day 8 Reflections

For our homework from our last session we needed to complete another reader profile survey on our students as well as provide some create tasks that we had looked into at our last session. 

Create Tasks 
I really love the text Sunday Hero as it has a lot of key ideas to pull out from it. For my create task for this I had the students design keys that show how Oma remembered things from the past. The students then had to describe what they keys were showing and then share this with someone else in their group to respond to what they keys made them think of from the story. The one thing that was really difficult was copy and pasting the keys into Photopea which is where most of my students enjoy doing their create tasks. So next time I think I will have a PNG download of the image that they can save and then upload into Photopea. I do think it went really well having the outline of the key for them ready to go as they were then able to create with the outline already there. Some of them came up with some really cool designs which they have linked on their blog. I did really enjoy this task and I think the students did too.

Reader Profile Survey 
I did this again with the class and there was some shift but not as much as I thought their might be. One of the things that was positive though was the students rating themselves slightly higher on liking reading at school, "I am good at reading" and "My teacher thinks I am good at reading." It was also a good reminder to see what kind of texts that my students enjoy reading so I am thinking for the rest of there I will try and incorporate some of these different texts into our reading program so that the students are being exposed to a range of different texts. 

I have really enjoyed changing up my create tasks and response to texts tasks in the last few weeks and am excited to keep these going in the classroom. I have also enjoyed looking at the data from the reader profile survey and thinking about how I can add and change to my reading program to try and push those results more in a positive direction. I would like to complete this one more time next term to see if any of the other changes I have in class will make an impact. I will share this again next term!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RPI Day 9: Sharing

Connecting This is a part of the day that I really love being able to connect with what I have been doing in the classroom as well as hearin...